Addax Petroleum was founded in 1994 upon leading petroleum industry expertise and a deep-rooted understanding and respect for African cultures. Over the years, Addax Petroleum has evolved from a young pioneer into an established international oil and gas, exploration and production company focused on Africa and the Middle East.
Addax Petroleum is recruiting to fill the below position:
Job Title: Manager of Projects
Job Number: NIGFA0002
Job Location: Lagos
- Responsible for the overall management of onshore (OML-124) and offshore (OML-123) projects execution (FEED, detailed engineering, procurement and construction) through to handover to Production.
- In view of the relatively small size of individual projects, these tend to be executed on a matrix organisational basis with involvement of support groups (e.g. engineering, materials, project / commercial services) where the Project Management Team (PMT) is overall responsible and accountable for project delivery.
- In view of the maturity of the fields, projects typically include upgrades and expansion of existing facilities to accommodate infield drilling and secondary recovery (primarily water injection). Projects are typically in the $US 10 – 100 million range with an annual portfolio of some $US 150 – 250 million.
Key Accountabilities/Result Area
- Formulate and carry out all tasks needed to ensure the successful execution of all projects on time, within budget and with due regard to HSES and quality, including:
- For identified individual projects, prepare Project Execution Plans (PEP’s), determine, and carry out contract strategies required for engineering, procurement, fabrication, transportation, installation and hook up and commissioning.
- Preparation of PEP’s and execution thereof are to adhere to the Addax Facilities Management System (AFMS) which uses the concept of gateway reviews and formal, systematic approvals.
- Review existing Project Management procedures to identify adequacy for Projects to be executed on a matrix basis, amend where required and seek internal approval of all changes. In particular establish, monitor and maintain up to date HSES and Quality Plans for all projects.
- Identify needs and assemble own PMT to successfully manage and execute Projects on a matrix basis making appropriate use of support groups available within Facilities. Where shortfalls exist, these are to be identified and corrective actions proposed.
- Establish budgets for all individual projects and raise corresponding Approval-For-Expenditure Requests (AFE’s), and monitor the same.
- Establish individual project specific schedules and cost control procedures and monitor the same.
- Carry out schedule and cost risk assessments on all projects and regularly review and update same. Establish a risk register and develop mitigation plans for all major identified risks.
- Ensure engineering design of projects adequately accommodates for Production requirements in terms of operability and obtain Production acceptance of same.
- Coordinate all construction activities including offshore installation and hook up and commissioning.
- Liaise closely with Production department on all aspects of the offshore execution including Permits to Work, shutdowns, and work coordination to ensure that the Projects are completed and formally handed over on schedule.
- Provide project engineering support to Facilities Central Engineering in the preparation of Front End Engineering (PIN, Conceptual Engineering, and Field Development Planning).
- Provide input to Technical Work Programmes and annual budgets as part of the annual business cycle.
- Provide monthly reports both on an overall consolidated project portfolio and individual project basis in accordance with Facilities reporting requirements.
- Prepare Project close out and “lessons learnt” reports for each project upon completion.
- To identify strengths and weaknesses of individual staff as a basis for managing their professional development and performance. In this regard, personally Mentor two (2) Company staff.
Key Performance Indicators/ Performance Goals (Preliminary – to be agreed):
- No fatalities, Zero LTI’s.
- Accurate and timely monthly reporting on status, cost and schedule (both actuals and forecast).
- All contract tendering and awards in place in accordance with Project schedule (in so much as these can be controlled by PMT).
- Full project delivery in accordance with agreed overall schedule and budget, and to level of quality as required by Company standards.
- Both NAPIMS and AFE approvals secured ahead of making commitments including any revisions.
- Project Closeout reports to be issued no later than 3 months after startup.
- Formally close-out all contracts within 6 months of Project startup.
- Directly accountable for the execution of individually approved projects typically ranging from $US 10 – 100 million.
- Responsible for engineering/construction contracts ranging from $US 50,000 upwards.
- Work Cycle:
- Monday – Friday: 07:30 – 17:30 hrs, with additional hours as operationally required – these are not to be under estimated.
- Rotation: N/A
- Shit: N/A
- Travel requirements: 30%.
- Ability to deliver quality projects safely with due regard to the environment, on time and within budget.
- In-depth understanding of Project Management systems and the application thereof.
- Ability to work under pressure against tight deadlines whilst maintaining a high standard of consistency, accuracy and quality is essential.
- Sound understanding of the relevant engineering codes and standards.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to deal with a broad spectrum of cultural and organisational styles, as well as being able to lead a team.
- Ability to manage project interfaces both internally and externally with contractors and authorities.
- Sound understanding of HSES Management systems and the application thereof, in particular HAZOP’s and safety cases.
- Apt presentation skills with the ability to articulate complex information into well-structured and meaningful management reports and presentations.
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- Good communication and team building skills – well able to lead and gain the respect of both own team members and 3rd parties.
- Ability to improvise/prioritise with little notice without losing attention to detail.
- Proven track record of managing multicultural teams.
- Self-starter, results-driven and focussed on delivery of quality products on time and within budget.
- Able to hold own ground when challenged but can present a balanced view in putting arguments forward.
- Minimum of 25 years experience in project, engineering and construction management, with at least 15 years recently at project management level in the upstream oil and gas industry (both onshore and offshore).
- Previous direct experience in offshore facilities construction work, especially installation of platforms and laying pipelines, as well as working on facilities expansions where simultaneous production and construction operations are required.
- Previous experience of working in Nigeria is preferred but not essential.
- Previous experience working internationally is a prerequisite.
- Managed multidiscipline teams of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Computer literate (including sound working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MSProject ).
- Minimum of a University 2nd Class Honours degree in an engineering or relevant technical discipline.
- Membership of a relevant Professional Institution preferred but not essential.
Mode of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to Apply online
Application Deadline: 6th September, 2013