Current Job Vacancy At The Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro in Nigeria 2013
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the post of Rector, The Federal Polytechnic, lIaro, Ogun State. The post shall become vacant with effect from 12th June, 2014.
The Polytechnic is located along Ilaro – Odan road, about three kilometers from Ilaro town Centre. It is also about 60 kilometers from Idiroko, a Nigerian border town with Benin Republic. It was established by Decree No. 33 of July 25, 1979 to train middle and high level manpower in Science, Technology and Commerce to serve as catalyst for technological and industrial development of the country. It presently has a total of forty seven (47) NBTE-Accredited academic programmes (ND and HND) spread over four (4) Schools i.e. Applied Science, Engineering, Environmental Studies and Management Studies.
The Rector is the Chief Executive Officer of the Polytechnic. He is responsible to the Governing Council as provided for in the Federal Polytechnic Act Decree 33 of 1979 and amended by Decree NO.5 of 1993. As the Chief Academic, Administrative and Accounting Officer, he/she is responsible for all matters relating to the day-to-day management and operations of the Polytechnic. In addition to proven management and leadership experience, the successful candidate must have a demonstrable passion for academic endeavor and be credible to the Polytechnic.
Qualities and Qualifications
Interested candidates for the post are expected to possess the following academic qualification and personal qualities:
- Must hold a Masters or Doctorate degree from a recognized university in any of the disciplines offered in the Polytechnic with a minimum of fifteen (15) years of professional and administrative experience, five of which must have been gained in an institution of comparable status;
- Must be a Chief Lecturer of not less than five (5) years
- Must not be more than 55 years of age as at the time of assumption of office;
- Must demonstrate evidence of strong academic, administrative and visionary leadership, initiative and creativity in policy formulation, good human relations and positive managerial attributes;
- Must provide evidence of membership of reputable professional body(ies) in Nigeria;
- Must provide evidence of scholarly publications in reputable journals as well as presentation of invited papers at educational conferences, seminars and workshops
- Must be proficient in Information and Communication Technology (ICT);
- Must be a fair-minded and dynamic individual with an impeccable reputation;
- Must enjoy excellent physical and mental health (with evidence from a government hospital
- Must be able to attract research and development grants to the Polytechnic.
- Must be a person who is not likely to pursue racial, ethnic, gender, political, religious or other sectional interests.
- Must be a person with initiative and vision for ensuring the accelerated pace of development of the Polytechnic even under financial and other challenging constraints.
Method of Application
Terms of Appointment
The appointment is for an initial period of four (4) years, and renewable subject to satisfactory performance for another term of four (4) years and no more. The salary is consolidated and the appointee shall enjoy other benefits of the office as may be approved from time to time by the Federal Government.
Interested candidates are expected to submit 15 typewritten copies of applications including photocopies of certificates and curriculum vitae giving the details in the following order:
i. Full names (Surname first and underlined)
ii. Date and place of birth
iii. State of origin and Local Government Area
iv. Nationality and how acquired
v. Marital status
vi. Number and ages of children
vii. Current postal address including telephone number and e-mail address
viii. Educational institution attended with date’s
ix. Academic and professional qualifications obtained with dates
x. Membership of professional bodies/Associations
xi. Honours and distinction (if any)
xii. Academic/scholarly publications (in standard format)
xiii. Conferences attended and papers presented with dates
xiv. Previous employer(s) and post(s) held with date’s
xv. Present employment to include: status; salary; duties and any other relevant experience
xvi. Statement of own Vision for the Polytechnic
xvii. Other activities outside current employment
xviii. Names and addresses of three referees (Employer, Educational and Personal), who are to forward confidential reports directly to the Registrar, The Federal Polytechnic, Ilaro, Ogun State. Such referees should be able to attest to the candidate’s claims to high academic and managerial capabilities as well as to the candidate’s notable uprightness.
Applicants will be required to produce the originals of their certificates and other relevant credentials if invited for interview. Photocopies of credentials will not be accepted. Applicants must also be ready to support every claim with documentary evidence.
Applications should be submitted not later than six (6) weeks from the date of this publication. Applications are to be submitted in a sealed envelope and marked POST OF RECTOR” on the top left hand corner of the envelope, addressed to:
The Federal Polytechnic
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.